Travel Diary: Copacabana Cool

Tuesday, June 30, 2015



It had been a while since I made a trip to somewhere other than home (Trinidad & Tobago). Hence the acute case of wanderlust with which I had recently been afflicted.  I decided to get on a plane to somewhere even if it would only be for a couple days. I chose a place I hadn't been to before and whose African heritage  I had long admired: Brazil.  I have long dreamed of visiting Salvador de Bahia, the heart of AfroBrazilian culture but with limited time on this trip, I knew I would have to wait  a bit longer to visit that fabled city.

I headed to  Rio de Janeiro. Without a word of Portuguese under my belt, navigating this metropolis wasn't easy. Fortunately though, Cariocas (as citizens of Rio are called) are kind, hospitable and helpful. They patiently listened to my clumsy attempts at their language and assisted me in having the best possible experience in their city. Also, during my first day I met a cool French guy who was glad to be my companion and translator. Coincidentally, he was born exactly one day before me. (Go figure that a Sagittarian would quit his job and go travelling around the world!)
Anyway, my mini escape to Rio was just what I needed. Granted, I didn't  swim in the sea (the water was way too cold by my  Caribbean standards!) Also, I didn't explore nearly as much as the AfroBrazilian culture as I would have preferred. Nevertheless, my journey to Rio still ended up being enjoyable, especially considering that I was there for less than 48 hours! I'm already excited about returning. 










Dress: Vintage
Bag: Thrifted
Bangles:Some Indian and some made in Atlanta
Ring: made in Atlanta




No comments:

Post a Comment