SOCIAL MEDIA

21.8.15

70's Fever

As I have mentioned before, a  significant portion of my fashion inspiration comes from the 1970's. The era was defined by icons such as Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Chaka Khan, Pam Grier, Iman and Bianca Jagger. On the heels of the turbulent 1960's, the fashion of 70's was festive, lavish and indulgent. Designers like Yves Saint Laurent and Halston created pieces that elegantly captured this exuberance. Yet, even before I came to know the names of these Greats, I was inspired by 70's icons closer to home.

As a girl, it was pure delight discovering photographs that archived my mother's and aunts' sassy style. As shown on those sepia toned pages,  maxi dresses, halter tops, bell bottoms, boho gowns, sexy tshirts, platform heels and big hair were au rigeur.

 Seeing my mother and aunts in all their vivacious, sensual and confident glory transformed how I viewed them and provided a few tips I came to value: dress up, have fun & live life boldly!

Top: Ancestral Memory
Skirt: Vintage Liz Clairborne; Thrifted
Clutch: Thrifted
Earrings: Vintage; Thrifted
Shoes : Zara but DIY embellishments
Cuff: Indian
Rings & Bangles: Baba

Photo Credit : Kaye McCoy

1 comment :