SOCIAL MEDIA

22.6.20

Guided Meditations For Black Women




When I began practising meditation fifteen years ago, I explored a variety of approaches. One of these was guided meditations which, as the name implies, entails having someone else lead or guide a session for you (most commonly) through an audio-recording or face to face speech. The person may talk you through the how's of breathing; share specific affirmations and provide a soothing voice to help you refocus. Considering these benefits, guided meditations can be helpful for a novice. However, when I first tried them something just felt off. Generally, the guided meditations I heard did not quite gel. I was discomfited by the thought that the people behind the voices instructing me did not share similar life experiences to mine. 


It may seem like an insignificant detail but for me having a white man or white woman tell me to relax was a bit unsettling. I wondered how it would be to instead have a black woman speaking to me as I meditated. I suspected that I would be more at ease. I suppose the sentiment is akin to feeling more comfortable with a black female psychologist or gynecologist etc. It provides some degree of comfort to think that the person assisting you in such an intimate way can relate to you, to your womanhood and to your blackness. 


Fortunately, there are more black women in the holistic  wellness world creating spaces and advocating for us these days. This has meant   that there are sisters now appearing on the pages of yoga magazines, owning yoga studios, designing wellness products, organising retreats and guiding us through our at home meditations. It's refreshing. At a                time when many of us are becoming more conscientious about supporting black businesses and leaning into spaces made with us in mind, it seems appropriate to focus on this topic as a part of our meditation series.


Here are a few guided meditations created by black women for black women. Click on each name to be directed to the respective link.









Do you have suggestions for others?

Photography Credit: Joel John 

1 comment :

  1. I can highly recommend the book "Free Your Mind: An African American Guide to Meditation and Freedom". It's by Cortez R. Rainey and was published about 4-5 years ago so should still be available in the online bookshops. The author does a wonderful job of combining instruction about meditation with some historical writings which are fascinating to read.

    ReplyDelete