SOCIAL MEDIA

7.12.17

Too Much of The Gram




Recently, I shared that I would be taking a hiatus from Instagram. {By the way, I sincerely appreciate everyone who has reached out to me since with encouraging words. Your messages soothed and lifted my spirits immensely}. Suffice it to say that I was going through a bout of depression, triggered by feelings of deep unhappiness with my job. By spending too much time on Instagram, I was compounding this unhappiness. How so? Well, even though I realised intellectually that measuring my success against the apparent success of others (in that virtual world no less) was totally unfair to myself, I continued to do so. The moments passed playing the comparison game were moments I could have been investing in executing my goals or engaging in vital self care. Additionally,  I was seeking validation outside of myself and from people I didn't know to boot. These subconscious habits were eroding my well  being. I knew that I needed to step away from the noise to reconnect with my truths. I needed to shift focus from what others were doing  to what I could do. 

 The short break helped with all of this. Enjoying actual conversations and quality time with loved ones, meditating and taking consistent steps towards my goals have been good for my soul as well as my mind. I feel so inspired and motivated once more about my vision for Ancestral Memory. The time off also increased my clarity about how to use Instagram in a way that is healthy for me. I do want to continue using the platform to promote the Ancestral Memory brand and to connect with lovely humans. However, I know without a doubt, that I'm better off when I am less present on IG and more present in life. Thus, the medium will continue to be relegated to a tiny portion of my time and thoughts. After all, there is immeasurably more to life and more to me than those little squares.

Photography Credit: Kyeon Constantine  
Edited by me

2 comments :

  1. I can relate wholeheartedly to this, Jenissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thanks for sharing that with me Chan. I really appreciate every encouraging conversation with you.💗💗💗

      Delete